On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:43:07 -0000, Matthew Wilcox <elven...@gmail.com> wrote:
Obviously this is not right - perhaps I'm not understanding your use case? Why would you want to specify an author as an attribute on the element?

Not necessarily as an attribute, I would prefer an element.

What is wrong with:
<article class="by-post-author">
<footer>
</footer>
</article>

Nothing tangible. It would serve my main use case of allowing <article>s by respected authors to be rendered before other <article>s or otherwise style them. I believe semantically stating authorship to be useful e.g. for searching a collection of documents for articles by a specific author, or conversely, blacklisting. Also, hCard fn allows for abbreviation of names I would find handy when screen space is scarce. But I guess those are less important than the first one.