On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 20:08:05 -0000, Matthew Wilcox <elven...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6 Feb 2012, at 19:19, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
We're discussing HTTP here, so the content might just as well be raster bitmaps.

Are we? Why, what makes HTTP the relevant factor? SPDY is the future and already supported in two major browsers., As it compresses headers and multiplexes, I don't see the issue.

Sorry, my bad. We're discussing an application layer client/server protocol that can be used for transferring files that don't use CSS pixels.

Multiple and variable screen dimensions are quite common (in special for projection). That means a request for every screen the resource may be. For legacy HTTP servers that don't support the new and complicated If-Different-For-Device header that would have to be added would serve the same content once for every screen.

No, it means we as a standards body define which gets sent. The sensible thing is to send the maximum screen size in use on the device.

This is usually, but not necessarily known on page load. I think static viewport resolution and screen size is the 80% case we should optimize for, but others (who presumably print documents more often) disagree.

Again, read the proposition I mentioned and you'll find non of this is true. Extra headers would only be sent by the browser if the browser received a request for the client to send those headers.

Presumably, this would be decided upon authority-wide (in the URI sense)?

Trying to allow the application layer client/server file transfer protocol stateless may be overly purist and impractical, but I think highly descriptive <object>s are a better solution.

--
-,Bjartur