On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:19:10 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de> wrote:
I think this is a case where you want to fail early (for some value of "fail"); so maybe substituting with "?" makes most sense.

Do any servers *expect* the Webkit behavior? If they do so, why don't they just fix the pages they serve to use UTF-8 to get consistent behavior throughout?

Given that every browser does something different I doubt anyone expects anything to work here. Note that this is an edge case, form submission, both GET and POST, uses the "&#...;" pattern whenever an encoder error is emitted. This is solely about URLs query parameters appearing as string value of HTML attributes that take URLs. Given that it is such an edge case, using the same encoder behavior seems nice as it means one code path less.

Having said that, if there are other places where we expose the encoder and there something other than "&#...;" or fatal error is required, that would be very interesting to know. I have not been able to think of anything myself thus far.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/