On May 13, 2012, at 7:03 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 5/13/12 3:20 PM, Mathew Marquis wrote:
>> I doubt any UAs will be forced to misinterpret common media queries because
>> they haven’t been accounted for.
>
> Opera has already been forced to do this.  For example, in its projection
> mode it matches both the "projection" and "screen" media queries (technically
> a spec violation) because of all the sites that explicitly say "screen" when
> they really mean "not print" (or in the absence of that query in downrev UAs
> when they mean "screen, projection, tv").  Now of course part of the problem
> here is that "screen", "projection", and "tv" are mutually exclusive, which
> is in retrospect silly.
>
> This is an excellent example of the fundamental divide about optimism vs
> pessimism here: the things that web authors doubt UA vendors will be forced
> to do because of web authors making bogus assumptions are things that UA
> vendors have already been forced to do for years because web authors ... make
> bogus assumptions.
>
> -Boris

You make an excellent case for standards bodies working more closely with
developers during the implementation of things like media queries. With a
better sense of the ways developers might misuse, misinterpret, or fail to
understand standards, issues like you describe could potentially be better
avoided. But I suppose we’ve gone off-topic, to an extent.