On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 03:03:48 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoe...@gmx.net> wrote:

* Andri Sævar Sigríksson wrote:
suggestion

Boolean value

implemented as Window.nobackspace  or  Navigator.nobackspace

if set to true the browser would not accept the key press on backspace as a signal to go to the previous page

Why would users want that?

Generally it isn't a very nice thing for users not to go back. It's a pretty fundamental part of the way we navigate the web. Redirecting the back button somewhere else because of a strange forward navigation path might happen, but breaking the general expectation isn't usually a good idea.

Also, the fact that we have an inelegant way of doing something isn't necessarily an argument to make it easier. If it's a really common thing to do, then it makes sense to simplify it. But if it is a weird edge case, then duplicating stuff is a good way to let bugs creep into implementations, which come at the expense of doing something more useful...

cheers

--
Chaals - standards declaimer