On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:35:26 +0200, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concol...@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

Hi Philip,

Le 9/27/2012 10:30 AM, Philip Jägenstedt a écrit :
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:41:34 +0200, Cyril Concolato <cyril.concol...@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

Hi all,

Has it been considered adding another method to add cues to a track? Something like addCues(DOMString text) where the text is not only one cue (like in the TextTrackCue ctor) but where the text would be multiple cues as written in a WebVTT file? My use case is that I'm getting WebVTT content from a server using XHR and I'd like to add that easily to the track, without having to parse them myself. Ideally, I would like to push the WebVTT content to the track a bit like the Media Source Extension API. Another option (less ideal) would be to have a WebVTTParser object with a parseFromString method returning a TextTrackList (a bit like the DOMParser object). Each cue could be added one by one.

Comments?

Cyril

You can parse WebVTT using a dummy video+track element and then move the cues to the actual track, why is this less than ideal?
I did not think about that option. It could do the trick. Thank you. By less than ideal, I meant that if I can push content to a buffer and let the browser parse the text and add the cues to the track, it seems easier/more elegant than having either to parse in JS or to create dummy elements and move cues around.

Yeah, creating that temporary document is one step more than is needed to parse HTML by setting innerHTML. If constructing text tracks piece-by-piece in this fashion is something that a lot of people will need to do, I think a utility method could be considered. It certainly wouldn't be hard to implement, it's just a bigger API that the Web will have to support forever :)

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer