Dirk Schulze wrote:
We can not eliminate SVGDocument until you want to have SVG specific
attributes on Document ;). This was  not the discussion on the SVG
WG. But we do want to share all methods with HTMLDocument where is
makes sense, which are most of them. HTMLDocument, as noted by Boris,
have specific methods as well that we do not necessarily want in a
general scoped Document object.

We did discuss and agree to this last year:

  http://www.w3.org/2012/09/19-svg-minutes.html#item04

and Erik made the change shortly afterwards.

  https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/struct.html#InterfaceSVGDocument

The only "interesting" attribute there is rootElement. And that isn't particularly interesting, though people do use it, so we can't get rid of it.

I don't think there's any real downside to having rootElement exist on all Document objects.