On 18/02/2014 23:17, Ian Hickson wrote:
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Jonathan Watt wrote:

When implementing <input type=number> for Mozilla I decided to display
the value to the user using the grouping separator (generally the
thousands separator) of the users locale. So, for example, if the
input's value is 1234 and the user's locale is English, it is displayed
to the user as "1,234".

This is causing a problem for at least media wiki, because they use
<input type=number> for year input. For example:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRIX&action=history
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/newbies

The question is, should I change Mozilla's implementation to stop
displaying the internal value using grouping separators, or is it wrong
to use <input type=number> for year input. I'm erring on the former, but
I'd like to solicit others' thoughts on this matter.

I should also note that I can still allow the implementation to accept
input from the user that contains grouping separators, even if when the
internal value is set/changed the visual result will be updated to a
string that does not contain grouping separators.

My recommendation would be to just use comma separation

It would be the appropriate separator(s) for the locale in use, not necessarily the comma, but I'm guessing that's what you meant.

for numbers
greater than 9999. It doesn't help that much for four-digit numbers, and
years beyond four digits often _do_ have commas, e.g.:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

I agree that it's a bit weird (though not particularly wrong) for
four-digit years to have commas.

Personally I think it's a bit more than a bit weird to have "Year: 2,014". It seems pretty ugly to me, and four digit years are going to be the common case.

type=number does seem appropriate for years, though.

I wonder if it would be that bad to have a 'year' type to compliment the 'month' and 'day' types...