> Two questions
> 1. Is there a way to get the keypair created by whirr?

You can specify the keypair used to access the server in the cluster
configuration file. By default Whirr uses ~/.ssh/id_rsa and
~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub.

This following snippet was taken from a recipe:

# By default use the user system SSH keys. Override them here.
# whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
# whirr.public-key-file=${whirr.private-key-file}.pub

You can override the keys specified in the configuration file on the
command line:

--private-key-file
--public-key-file

Whirr can only work with SSH RSA keypairs for now.

Note: If you are creating a Hadoop or HBase cluster, Whirr creates
some utility scripts that you can use to setup a local SOCKS proxy to
the cluster. Check the configuration guide for more info
http://incubator.apache.org/whirr/quick-start-guide.html#Run_a_proxy

Also, keep in mind that Whirr does not create a user on the servers
with the same name as your local user.

Login to EC2 by using: $ ssh -i ssh_rsa_private_key
ec2-user@public-ec2-server-ip

Login to Rackspace Cloud by using: $ ssh -i ssh_rsa_private_key
root@public-rackspace-cloud-ip

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you. Let me know if you have
more questions.

> BTW using whirr for Hadoop has been a pleasure, it rocks :)

Glad you like it!

> thanks
> ashish
>
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> I followed the instructions from
> >> http://www.philwhln.com/quickly-launch-a-cassandra-cluster-on-amazon-ec2
> >>
> >> Using whirr-0.2.0-incubating stable release
> >
> > I suggest trying with 0.3.0 (out soon, or available from svn now, as
> > the blog outlines) since the Cassandra code has changed quite a bit
> > since 0.2.0.
> >

> >> Instances are launched, but at the end it it displays an error while
> >> connecting it.
> >>
> >> Following exception is printed -----------------
> >>
> >> Authorizing firewall
> >> Running configuration script
> >> Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException:
> >> org.jclouds.compute.RunScriptOnNodesException: error runScript on
> >> filter
> >> ed nodes options(RunScriptOptions [overridingCredentials=true,
> >> runAsRoot=true])
> >> Execution failures:
> >>
> >> 0 error[s]
> >> Node failures:
> >>
> >> 1) SshException on node us-east-1/i-17f3497b:
> >> org.jclouds.ssh.SshException: ec2-user@50.16.165.161:22: Error
> >> connecting to session.
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.ssh.jsch.JschSshClient.propagate(JschSshClient.java:250)
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.ssh.jsch.JschSshClient.connect(JschSshClient.java:204)
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.compute.internal.BaseComputeService$4.call(BaseComputeService.java:375)
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.compute.internal.BaseComputeService$4.call(BaseComputeService.java:364)
> >>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
> >>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
> >>        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown
> >> Source)
> >>        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
> >> Source)
> >>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
> >> Caused by: com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: Auth fail
> >>        at com.jcraft.jsch.Session.connect(Session.java:452)
> >>        at com.jcraft.jsch.Session.connect(Session.java:150)
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.ssh.jsch.JschSshClient.newSession(JschSshClient.java:245)
> >>        at
> >> org.jclouds.ssh.jsch.JschSshClient.connect(JschSshClient.java:184)
> >>        ... 7 more
> >>

> >> Hadoop cluster runs fine with the whirr release.
> >>
> >> My configuration file is plan simple, picked from the blog and the
> >> real value replaced.
> >>
> >> Am I missing anything out here?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> ashish