Jim,

We know there are a number of pending issues related to Whirr and
HBase and we are working to fix them. Matching versions is difficult
(Bigtop should address some of those issues).

The following patch could also be useful to you:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-334

There is still a service start race condition that we need to address
before committing (e.g. the HBase region server does not start if HDFS
is not available).

I'm working on some of the issues so let me know if is there anything
I can do to help you with this.

Cheers,

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro