Dear JJ,

As you remark, Why3 0.88 is now quite outdated and my answer may not be very accurate. As far as I remember, the former "Inline" button was applying the transformation "inline_goal" which has the effect of inlining the defined function symbols appearing in an outermost position in the goal.

The doc for the transformations are obtained when typing `why3 --list-transforms', and some of them are documented in a bit more details in the manual : "inline_*" are documented at the beginning of http://why3.lri.fr/doc/technical.html#sec128

In Why3 1.x, the user interface for applying transformations is much more powerful, in your case you would probably want to type "unfold foo" where "foo" is your function symbol. The documentation is also visible interactively.

I don't know how to help more without seeing the exact example you have.

- Claude