Yeah, that's pretty much it. I doubt there is anything that provides the same functionality that wicket-ajax does.

starting with cross-browser outerHtml replacement functionality that also evaluates inner scripts (that was the easier part :))

Updating multiple component on the same page, evaluating javascript and doing header contribution in the same request. The header contribution was the trickiest part. It is able to parse the header (<head></head>) output of components and process it (load javascript references, stylesheet references, add inline stylesheet, execute inline javascript). And it does load the javascript files in the same order as specified in <head> output, while doing that asynchronously - without blocking the browser.

The whole wicket-ajax thing is bit more complicated, I'm up to blog about it, but still waiting until we have "official" blog on wicketframework.org :) (which can take couple of years it seems :))

-Matej