i think that was done so you can override properties of deeper components.

suppose i create a custom component, and this component uses key my.key in
its markup and provides a default value in its .properties file.

so how do you override that? right now its simple, just redefine my.key in
the parent's properties file - since you built the parent you are in control
there.

Why would the parent overwrite the child? That doesn't make sense to
me, and it is not how, e.g., our markup loading works either.

Eelco