On 2/3/07, Al Maw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
> Al, are you seriously working on date picker you want to contribute to
> Wicket?

Yes, but it's really not very far along yet and I don't think we should
hold up 1.3 for it (certainly not the first beta at least).

Cool. We don't need it for the beta, but for the releases after that,
I feel we should have at least one datepicker we all can recommended
as a good core component to use.

It's relatively easy to make a datepicker if you have either mootools or
prototype available. These clash with each other and are both popular.
It's a hassle supporting a date picker for each, so the current strategy
it stripping out the bits of mootools that I actually need, namespacing
them so they can't interfere with anything else, and the writing
something from scratch.

Sounds good.

I don't trust javascript to get the locale and date formatting right for
me, so I'm doing that in Java with some <script> written to <head> that
sets up each date picker on the page with the appropriate formatting for
the text box (including leading zeroes, etc.).

One of the issues with the old one was that it depended on the date
format that was used by the date converter(s). It is/ was pretty ugly
actually. It would be great if we would have a way to get the pattern
that will be used for input/ output for date, time and number
converters used by a component. That way, several components like a
date field and date picker can work better together than is the case
now.

I currently have no plans to be able to link two pickers together to do
client-side range validation (i.e. making sure "toDate" is after
"fromDate"), but we could add that later.

Personally, I wouldn't care about that too much anyway. It can be done
with Ajax for starters, and is something we can add later if there is
enough demand for it.

Eelco