look this is fixed properly in 1.3 and up. we agreed no api breaks in 1.2.x.
you can interpret it one way, martijn interprets it another. for him
removing a method, usable or not, is an api break. whatever. who cares?
1.2.x is in maintenance mode. we should concentrate on 1.3 instead of
wasting energy on discussions like this. my last 2c.

-igor

> why are we still arguing about this?
>
> just deprecate the damn method already and add the variant

Because that's a lame 'solution'. Deprecate would be ok if the method
did actually return normally but just wouldn't work like expected. In
this case, you can't even use the method in the first place, so
putting deprecated in there doesn't solve a thing for one user in the
whole darn world.

Eelco