im not a big fan of having an application-wide setting for this. it will
make it harder to integrate with 3rd party components that werent written
with the setting in mind because it pretty much gives you an option of
ignoring it by assuming a default.

better make it explicit, and it doesnt add any extra work. instead of
calling setoutputmarkupid(true) just call setoutputmarkuptag() or maybe even
call it setoutputmarkuptagandid()

-igor