All,

I've been working for a while now on an animated homepage for wicket
(not that we *have* to use it, it is a gimmick), and it was originally
based on animate.js (the proposed animation library). I also converted
it to yahoo animation (which is quite similar), and this way we can
see the differences between the two (peformance, API, etc).

You can see the difference between the two libs here:

http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/animation/animator.html
http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/animation/yahoo.html

If you want to see the difference between rendering engines: I found
that firefox has the best javascript support for these animations.
Safari runs at a snails pace (I had to tweak the animation for that to
make it run faster).

Lessons learned:
- animate.js is a really nice and powerful library
- yahoo animation gives similar results, and has a bit better
animation management
- safari sucks performance wise for javascript
- the api for yahoo and animate is strikingly similar, with just a
couple of differences

I haven't tested this with IE so that may be completely broken.

Martijn

--
Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
Wicket 1.2.5 will keep your server alive. Download Wicket now!