On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:23:57 +0100, Eelco Hillenius wrote:

>Silly? Why is that? 'Unless you explicitly convert them'? The old
>behaviour is to add a link <a id="wcn-[autolink]" etc. Why do I end up
>with broken links? I add these links just as I add components like:

        You end up with broken links using the old approach because you
can't refer to internal pages in Wicket. Unless the user explicitly
rewrites links in terms of autolink or ExternalLink the resulting link
will be broken.

>When I say I like it from a designer's perspective, I mean that it
>*could* (not would) be nice that designers can link an application
>together without  having to know about this autolink thing. On the other
>hand, you could just tell the designer that he/she must use
>id="wcn-[autolink]". The ones I work with are generally not dumb asses,
>so 'you will end up with broken links'? Nonsense!

        I don't view this as a matter of intelligence. I view this as a
matter of ease-of-use. My personal view is that I'd want this sort of
conversion handled automatically on my behalf. Near the bottom of this
email I explain why you won't get any surprises with this automated
approach that you are worrying about. Your concerns are valid and I
hope to demonstrate how we have addressed them. Autolinks will be made
to work like normal (static) HTML links in all cases.

>Que? Let's try this again:
>
>We have:
>- a Wicket page (relative to your package) Home.java and Home.html
>- a static HTML page Home.html that is in the root of the web application.
>
>If, in - say OtherPage.html - I refer to Home.html like this: <a
>href="Home.html">, it will allways refer to the Wicket Page, right? So:
>- how do I know (e.g. as a designer) which one is choosen (see my
>concern on implicit behaviour)?
>- how on earth can I refer to my static Home.html?

        So we have:

        /WebApp - webapplication root path
        /WebApp/Home.html - Home.html that isn't registered with a
Wicket page
        /WebApp/sub/OtherPage1.html - some HTML page
        /WebApp/sub/Home.html - HTML page registered with a Wicket page
        /WebApp/sub/Home.java - Your Wicket Page
        /WebApp/sub/OtherPage2.html - some HTML page

        Now you are concerned that it is impossible to refer to
/WebApp/Home.html? Let me explain why that isn't a problem.

        Say you are inside OtherPage1.html,

        if you have <a href="Home.html"> it'll link to
/WebApp/Home.html
        if you have <a href="sub/Home.html"> it'll link to
/WebApp/sub/Home.html

        Say you are inside OtherPage2.html,

        if you have <a href="Home.html"> it'll link to
/WebApp/sub/Home.html
        if you have <a href="/WebApp/Home.html"> it'll link to
/WebApp/Home.html

        I hope that clarifies what I mean. The new behavior is
identical to the behavior of preexisting HTML links in all cases.

Gili