Yep. That's the nicest way to do it.

You probably want to use this setting (false by default):

settings.setPropertyModelDefaultApplyFormatting(true);

as then the converting works both ways.

If you take a look at the forminput example (CVS HEAD), you'll see:

TextField dateInput = new TextField("dateInput", input, "dateProperty");
dateInput.add(new TypeValidator(Date.class));

where the input object has property 'dateProperty' of type java.util.Date. Because I added a type converter, before any model update, the type is checked first using the registered type converter. If that validates, the actual converting will be done using again that registered converter by the property model.

That's how I use most forms. A form has a target object, say a person object. For the properties I want to have edited, I create input fields with property models so the converting and updating go semi-automatic. In form submit, all I have to do is to update/ save my altered object.

Furthermore, when you use a framework like Hibernate or a JDO variant, it is probably sensible to work with detachable models a lot. Take a look the stuff that's in contrib for making this easier.

  Eelco

Jonathan Carlson wrote:

I want to have a text form field that converts to a Date attribute on a bean (using the YYYY-MM-DD string format).
It looks like I would create a DateConverter implementation of IConverter and register it with the ConverterRepository so that the PropertyModel instance can convert it appropriately. Is that the right approach for both directions (String to Date, and Date to String)?
- Jonathan

********************************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

www.katun.com