Hi again,
c) may be we should introduce an attribute like <span wicket:id="..."
wicket:removeTag="true"> which will lead to wicket not printing the
span tag but the body only.

   Actually, introducing a new attribute might not be necessary: If
   classes like Panel and ListItem (or suitable base class) would have method
like
   setOpenCloseTagRendering (false) one could turn this
   behaviour on in associated .java code. Wouldn't it be
   very simple to add something like this as general feature ?

       Ari S.

Juergen