Agreed there is a delicate balance. However, RequiredValidator allready was a singleton, but as it was not thread safe, it shouldn't have been. Furthermore, the comment in AbstractValidator also falsely noted that it was threadsafe.

I am obviously not against statefull objects, but I think in this case it is good not to impose this on users (which we did). If you want to use state in your custom validators, you can do that without problems. If you want to your custom message key in validators, you can just subclass it. If you do this with an anonymous class, it is imo just slightly less elegant than setting the key on the object. If you create your custom validator for reuse in your own projects, you never have to think about it again.

Though I am defending this now, please note that other people /did/ have problems with validators not being threadsafe. It's hard to have everybody happy.

Eelco

Phil Kulak wrote:

Yea, but if you don't create the validator yourself, you're totally
out of luck. What's wrong with validators holding state? They're just
going to attached to stateful components anyway. I mean, why stop
there? Let's make TextField thread safe too. :)

I guess resourceKey isn't such a good idea after all, as it breaks the
thread safety we just introduced. It should be enough to remove this but
make getResourceKey(FormComponent) overridable, so people can do this
with annonymous classes. Slightly inconvient, but safe. And safe should
win over inconvient.