From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Christian Essl
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:06 PM
To: wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Wicket-user] lists

Hi,

I am quite a new Wicket user and have to agree with Igor. I found ListView always a bit 'magical' confusing. I do not realy understand wheter I've to keep my list (indexed) stable between calls and in case of DB backed lists how to do that. If I want to provide a custom model which methods of list are used etc. Do I even have to store my list in session etc.

In the end it took me quite some time that there is a method on ListView to overwride. Still it seems quite unatural to first provide a model and than to change the component just to adjust the provided model.

Further it is most often more easy to provide a model from a list than a list from a model. List is a 20+ method interface, which is in case you do not know AbstractList or want to provide something more performent no way easy to implement. (After you got the concept of models Swing with ListView is realy easy).

To me Igors proposal is much more clear. It states clearly what ListView needs - or better does not need. It doesn't need an extend, where I always think twice if I do not know the superclass very well and it it is easy to implement. Writing a wrapper around a real List is very easy if it is not already provided from the framework.

Just my new user thougts,
Christian

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:57:14 -0700, Igor Vaynberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>