I did the change last night on my laptop and it works. But prior to
committing it I'd like to explain the logic of the current
implementation. I want to be sure, that the change does make sense.

Current approach:
We read the markup directly associated with the component
We check if the markup contains a <wicket:extend>
If it does NOT contain wicket:extend than proceed in the normal way
If it does contain wicket:extend
   autoAdd a MarkupInheritanceComponent. Like all components, is first
renders its tag (which is <wicket:extend>), than the body and than the
close tag (</wicket:extend>).
Thus the base markup is read while handling the inheritance
component's body and the ouput nicely reflects the program flow.

I'm not sure it could make myself clear. Form a wicket point of view
and the way we usually handle components, the current
implementation/behaviour is like we handle all other components. The
requested change would make it an exception.

The current implementation, though, as pointed out by Matej, does
produce output (with setStripWicketTag(false)) which is not HTML
compliant. <wicket:extend> will be even beore the doctype.
setStripWicketTag(TRUE) /should/ remove it from output and make the
output compliant.

I guess the question is, what is more important.

Juergen