yeah, this would make a good FAQ entry. we struggled with naming this class for quite a while and i can understand your unhappiness with the name. unfortunately, i think it's too late to change this one now.

Christian Essl wrote:

Hi Juergen,

I think Wicket has a great design. Escpecially I like the use of classes in favour of interfaces where no alternative implementations are realy useful.

You mentioned you would simplifiy the API even further. You mentioned
IModel. Anything else that comes into your mind?

In the beginning I was also a bit confused of IModel. Trained from Swing in my mind a model, was the 'data-store' for a component and different components have different demands on their data and 'data-stores'.

I expected that a label would need something like getText(). A TextField, TextArea something like setValue() and getValue(). So far IModel works fine. However in my experience the model interface for ListView should have looked different and for Trees, DropDownChoices and Checkboxes it should again look different. For the later ones IModel is more like an IModelProvider and this made the api a bit indirect and unclear to me with my Swing background and at least until generics are added.

I am sure you have your reasons to have a generic IModel interface for all components. But maybe you could make the difference between a Wicket model and a traditional Java model, and the reasons for this difference more clear.

Thanks,
Christian

___________________________________________________________ Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de