Yes, they only load the data for the current page. Of course, you
still have to be careful with some databases. SQL Server (and actually
ANSI SQL), for example, does not have any way to return results from
the middle of a SELECT, so Hibernate will do a SELECT TOP, then only
show you the results you want, even though all previous had to be
brought over the wire.