Spring is about a lot more then xml config :)

Spring manages components that can vary between deployments. No matter how
you deploy, the ui layer behaves the same so in the ui layer there is no
advantage to an xml config. But in the middle layer things vary between
deployments, ie database engines, applications servers, etc. It's a lot
easier to edit an xml file then to recompile the code.

-Igor