Please don't get the impression I haven't believed you; I was just wondering.

My opinion on this matter is according to "make simple things easy, and complex
things possible".
I am not aware of how this part is currently implemented, but I guess the best approach would be a value retrieval strategy defaulting to the new implementation, but also allow changing it with an ognl strategy.

my 2euroc

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

#: Johan Compagner changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  10/27/2005
2:34 AM :#
It is the expression parser.
Thats why i ask it here. How many people are really using extreme things of
ognl
Because i think 99% is just using the basic what i have implemented now.

I tested it all in YourKit. and when i just submit the FormInput example of
us 20 times
(with some different data and some times errors)
i see those results.
It is all comes from Ognl.parsExpression() and its call to
ognl.JavaCharStream, all the time and all the garbage is comming from that
area.

And if 20 times submitting a form really kost 40MB (extra) of garbage then i
really don't want to know what
it cost when 200 persons are working at the same time on my application...

I think ognl is just to much for what we want.

i attached 2 screen dumps of yourkit.
1> cpu: you see that doPost/doGet (is the same for wicket app) does take 59%
of total runtime time but 58% of the total time is spend in Ognl! thats onle
1% that does something else.
2> mem: you see the dump of the singleselectchoice. One of the components of
forminput and only that component generated 2MB of garbage in the Ognl part

johan

On 10/27/05, Alexandru Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

#: Johan Compagner changed the world a bit at a time by saying on
10/27/2005 1:41 AM :#
> Hi
>
> I have written a replacement of OGNL when i test it with a very simple
test
> (The FormInput example)
> then i see quite some improvements in cpu speedups and mem improvements
>
> Around 40% speed increase for a submitting the forminput example page 20
> times
> and only 1/5 of the memory garbage is generated (50MB against 10MB)

John this really makes me wonder, cause I know quite a few projects using
ognl and never heard
complains about it. Have you noticed such complaints or is this completely
new?

Most probably the improvement may come from removing the expression parser
(as in the examples you
have presented such a parsing is not required), but still I am wondering
if the parser should take
so long for simple expression as those.

sorry for wondering,

./alex