In my opinion, there's no need for another indirection. From what I've seen, new users are already confused about models, making them even more complicated isn't imho the way to go.

I think that Ognl models should be separated from the core and put to extensions. That would also get rid of ognl as a dependecy.

Just my 2c.

-Matej

Johan Compagner wrote:
Ok now we released 1.1 i have committed the ognl replacement
It is not yet plugable yet we first need to see what we will or can support to bring back ognl for specific things.
(plugable or in wicket extentions as its own model?)

This is the current javadoc it explains what is possible now:

This class parses expressions to lookup or set a value on the object that is given.
The supported expressions are:

"property": This can can then be a bean property with get and set method. Or if a map is given as an object it will be lookup with the property as a key when there is not get method for that property.

"property1.property2": Both properties are lookup as written above. If property1 evaluates to null then if there is a setMethod (or if it is a map) and the Class of the property has a default constructor then the object will be constructed and set on the object.

"property.index": If the property is a List or Array then the second property can be a index on that list like: 'mylist.0' this expression will also map on a getProperty(index) or setProperty(index,value) methods. If the object is a List then the list will grow automaticaly if the index is greater then the size

Index or map properties can also be written as: "property[index]" or "property[key]"