The very first time one accesses an application, session ID is in the
address. So, for the first bookmarkable page you have two addresses,
which screws up the browser history navigation.

The simple answer: do one more redirect on first request. The more
complex answer: do one more redirect when you see that jsessionid in
in the URL. The hardest thing: to distinguish that jsessionid is in
the URL. See this discussion for relevant information:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=struts-user&m=111886657513840&w=2

Michael.