Of course not.
Quote: "BTW: when I did the 'custom form processing' I also wanted to call
Form.persistFormComponentData() but this is private. Should this be called
when Button.defaultFormProcessing = false."

I understood it to be a side note to your question (because of BTW).
You can not call Form.persistFormComponentData() because it is private
and that is by purpose. In order to persist formComponent, you have to
call formComponent.setPersistent(). It has nothing to do withy your
question, just with your BTW. And IMO there should be no need for you
to call Form.persistFormComponentData(), that is Wicket internal and
that should not be allowed to be changed by any user. If there is
need, than it needs to be improved. And please correct if I'm wrong,
but there have been plenty of discussions on the form handling topic.

Juergen