the default implementation of IFieldValueFactory (used by the proxy strategy) that is used to locate fields that hold spring references is jdk5 specific. but it is easy to create your own that stores this metadata somewhere else. wicket has a nice metadata system that can be used for this, or common-attributes. i believe Christian implemented the commons-attributes storage for the metadata and the source code for that is somewhere in this list.

-Igor