The use of <wicket:head> is that panels or borders can contribute ie style-sheets to the <head> of the page.

if you do not want to have a part of the border head in the page head than put that part in the plain html head:

for border:

<head>
  <titel>This does not go to the head of page</titel>
  <wicket:head>
     <link rel="Stylesheet" .. this goes to the head of the page .../>
  </wicket:head>
</head>

Christian