I think I described the problem rather stupid.

The problem is that you have to make panels if you want to show varying FromComponents at the same template-place. Ie if you have a ListView which either displays a CheckBox or TextField depending on the row you can not just write:
and add the right FormComponent to the ListItem. But you need a panel to wrap the FormComponent.

This is no herculaen task, but it bothered me to write these panels again, when they are already used in different places. And than they also clutter the respective apis.

So I just thought it would be good to have ie a TextField which can be used directly in the ListView template like this:
and than replaces it's tag body with <input type="textfield" name="xx">.

Html attributes like size would have to be set in Java code. To me this does not make too much difference because otherwise to customize the template you would have to subclass the Panel and provide a custom template. And than you also have to somehow provide this new Panel to the using component.

Mabe this all is against the wicket-way. Just a thought.

Christian