1> the number is the page number of the page that is in a pagemap You can see it as the the first component id of the tree.

2> no it checks for markup changes. if you change a class in developerment then that is the responsibitiy of youre IDE that you use (eclipse/netbeans) to hotswap the class change for you.
  I never depend on the class reloading (then you reload the complete webapplication) of a servlet container..

3> It is pure for the backbutton support. For example you have a page with some components and that page you change if for example you click a link on that page
and in that onClick you replace a component on that page or set something to visible (or not) then that replace or visibilty change is recorded
If then the user goes back with the backbutton and does some kind of call again to that page. We rollback the change before youre event handler is called.

johan