First, thank you for your answers.

(1) I want to use plain HTML files at design-time, so I can use a WYSIWYG
editor like DreamWeaver to edit. IMHO, this only is possible with either
special comments or using id-attributes like wicket does.

Wicket mostly does this. The only problem is if you use panels.

Is it possible for wicket to change also the relative paths for images (or other stuff) referenced in panels or super-page-layouts?

(2) I want to be able to use a directory structure for the templates, e.g.
   www.company.com/index.page
   www.company.com/product1/features.page
   www.company.com/product2/features.page

Not sure what you mean by this.

OK, I've uploaded a very small example (http://www.regnis.de/_wicket/first-steps.zip). The html templates are located in the resources/ directory and accessible from there. An image is accessed with a relative path and displays fine at design-time, but not at run-time. Also the page link to the about-page does not work at run-time.

In any case, something like this is surely possible with mountable links.

I have read a lot about different links in wicket, but nothing yet about *mountable* links. Also, the wiki does not show anything.

(3) Even at design-time, relative paths to images or the
style-sheet should
be valid, so IDEA can verify their existence and image size. This
requires
the page templates to be in the same directory structure as the
images and
style-sheet.

Wicket does this if you want it to.

(4) Easy embedding of commonly used components like page headers,
navigation
bars or footers. The best would be to place these "snippets" into
a separate
directory structure, but if they are using graphics, they should also be
able to use correct design-time relative paths.

Yes, Wicket does this if you set your project up correctly.

Does it change the relative paths correctly?

(5) It should be very easy to turn links, e.g. used in the menu
bar snippet,
into "smart links". If pointing to the current page, they must not be
rendered as a link, but the look should be customizable (wicket
seems to use
italics in this situation).

All out of the box.

How to customize the look of the not rendered link?

(6) Detection of errors (e.g. wrong links) should be as early as possible.

Well, IDEA at least can verify the static paths, e.g. to images like in the above example. I would not want to miss that feature, only because images are located at different locations than the pages at design-time.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer