cowwoc wrote:
> 1) GoogleBot will hit the same page with different JSESSIONID each time.
> It'll think that these are different pages and lower your page rank
> because (from its point of view) your website contains different page
> URLs with the same content (looks like you're trying to trick it).

I think the bot may be smarter than that, but still..

> [...]
>       Maybe someone else has a better idea?

It looks like Wicket is doing all the right things. I don't think it
should try too hard to avoid generating a session for bookmarkable links
cause the googlebot could always find those same links after it has
created a session elsewhere, muddying things just as much.

Instead, search conscious sites (and what big site isn't?) should just
disable url rewriting in a WebRequest subclass. Users without cookies,
and Google, will still be able to browse the non-interactive parts of
the site through bookmarkable urls. You'd have to hack essential
(search) forms, but that's no harder than doing the same form in a
caveman framework. Then you'd customize the session expired page to
explain that cookies are required for interactivity.

That's how pretty much every shopping site, etc works already. Wicket
(via J2EE) is just being too nice to cookieless users, and making its
nice-to-have sessions conspicuous in the process.

Nathan