The current equivalent is line 305, i.e.

protected void onComponentTagBody(final MarkupStream markupStream,
final ComponentTag openTag)
{
  List choices = getChoices();
  final AppendingStringBuffer buffer = new
AppendingStringBuffer((choices.size() * 50) + 16);

getChoices() is returning null there, as the model is empty and the
choices.size() causes the NPE.

Leaving aside the use of 'magic' numbers, should we do something
explict there, i.e. log something & then use Collections.EMPTY_LIST,
or even throw a NPE with an explicit message?

/Gwyn