What I meant is that it only concerns paths in the scope of the
servlet context. And the problem with that is that you can't be sure
you have access to that and/ or that that's a normal file system (it
might be from a zip or jar/war). So you code might work for absolute
paths outside the servlet context - I've never tried that - but it's
not guaranteed according to the spec.

Eelco

On 5/6/06, Timo Stamm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eelco Hillenius schrieb:
> Though that will only work when your servlet container is configured
> to have access to that directory as one to serve files from, right?

No, you can deliver files from anywhere Java has access to. The example
was copied from production code.