If I understand you correctly, that wouldn't help.  Do you mean that
I should just use markup inheritance with no borders?  I can't do
that because I need to be able to change the border implementation at
runtime.

Or do you mean that the BaseBorderPage would just add a border?  If
so, that's what I tried =).  The problem with that approach is that
the header contribution is in opposite order from what I expect.  In
your example, Page's header contributions are listed above
BaseBorderPage's header contributions.  This means that I can't
override stylesheets that were included in BaseBorderPage's header.