Hi,
Thanks & just for the record...

The second was using the first's value, via a CompoundPropertyModel,
but that wasn't enough of a linkage to trigger a change.  Updating the
choice model on the onSelectionChanged gave me the behaviour I wanted
though.

Having done that though, it was trivial to add Ajax support & move
that to the onUpdate callback instead.

There is one minor difference that I noticed in the Ajax/non-Ajax
behaviours, which we might want to document if we can work out where
to do so,
i.e...
  When using a dropdown that was initialised to use a nullSelection
string (e.g. "Choose One") and onSelectionChanged, when a choice is
made the drodown gets reloaded.  As it's no longer got a null
selection, the "Choose One" string doesn't appear (which may affect
the width of the drop-down if it was previously the longest option
string).
If AJAX is used instead, the dropdown doesn't itself get reloaded, so
the nullSelection string remains (and can still be selected.)

/Gwyn