Not sure about "Best Practice", but
"DropDownChoice_Examples/More_Examples" on the wiki
(http://www.wicket-wiki.org.uk/wiki/index.php/DropDownChoice_Examples#More_Examples)
 shows the "onSelectionChanged" method and then the "Ajax" methods of
handling the changes where you have two DropDownChoice components,
with the values of the first determining the values of the second.

/Gwyn