I wouldn't be too quick to judge developers that struggle with your platform to be new to _good_ java programming. I have many years of Swing development experience and web experience dating back to the pre-servlet, pre-framework era. That said, Wicket does interest me because it is radically different that the page-based frameworks *and* JSF-based component frameworks available today.

From my own experience, I would say the hardest part about _using_ Wicket is _learning_ Wicket. There is a hodgepodge of documentation scattered in a lot of different places. You are transitioning to a new version, and without a good collection of documents/best practices it seems a bit hopeless at times.

Your Wicket in Action book is many months off. Hopefully it is geared for Wicket 2.0. Also, perhaps you can get Manning to release it in their early access program. I know I would buy it today if a few initial chapters were available online.

-- jim

I'd like to add to that that Wicket requires you to know your Java,
while e.g. using JSP allows to build whole web sites with hardly any
Java knowledge. Whether that is a good thing or not is debatable.