Well, the modification basically restored the behavior from before the
speed optimization was done. It shouldn't really change anything,
definitely not cause null instead of AjaxRequest (which probably means
that you're using fallback links and for some reason they are not fired
using Ajax).

Anyway, are you able to provide a test case from any of this? All these
issues you are facing seem to be related to your application quite
closely, and I'm not able to reproduce any of it on my own.

-Matej