I understand, but what most developers do instead of searching for the
component, actually because it makes refactoring easier, is to keep a
reference of that child-component. Eg. instead of
formBorder = new FormBorder(parent, "formBorder")
formBorder.setBorderBodyContainer(formBorder)
new TextField(formBorder, "myInput", ...)
TextField input = formBorder.get(".....:myInput")

they do
formBorder = new FormBorder(parent, "formBorder")
formBorder.setBorderBodyContainer(formBorder)
this.input = new TextField(formBorder, "myInput", ...)
getMyTextField()
{
   return this.input;
}

No more trouble with refactoring and for users which have to use your
component mch easier to understand.

Juergen