>> Is there a simple example around of how PagingNavigation can be
 >> customized?

 > Could you be more specific as to what you want to customize?

The PagingNavigation Javadocs say that I can give my own navigation
markup and code by overwriting poplulateItem(ListItem).  It seems that
my own markup is being read, but that populateItem is not being called.
  I've tried with an anonymous class, with an inner class,  and with a
stand-alone class.  I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I just can't
figure out where.

What I really want to do is change from plain numbered links to links
that look more like:

     Ab - Ce | Ci - Fa | Fa - Gu | Ha - Mc | Me - Pi | ...

Or I might want to turn the navigation bar into a dropdown list that
lists exactly the range of items on each page, e.g.

     <select ...>
       <option value="0">Abelson - Cestanto</option>
       <option value="1">Cirilia - Fasson</option>
     </select>

I'm not really sure.  I just know that the client really doesn't like
the plain numbered pages.

I'm betting that this is not particularly hard.  But something I'm doing
just isn't working properly.  Rather than asking people what I was doing
wrong, I was hoping to look at an example where it's done right.

But if there aren't any great examples in the wild, I'll try to post a
minimal version of what I'm trying.

The thing is, I can't even get it to do what PagingNavigation Javadocs
describe quite simply and get

     << < 1 2 3 4 > >>

turned into

     first | prev | page 1 | page 2 | page 3 | page 4 | next | last

So clearly I'm not ready to try my own customization.

Thanks for any advice you folks can offer.

   -- Scott