If you can not find a way to stop a brutal attack from outside the
webapp, the only thing you can do is handle a denied login request as
quickly as possible. Furthermore, a denied login request should leave no
open resources. Invalidating the session immediately would help but I am
not sure this is easy to do unless you use stateless pages from Wicket 2.
Its kind of weird that handling a login request that will be denied
should be handled more quickly then a request that will be granted :)

Because large groups of people can be behind a single ip address you
should be careful with throttling the number of requests per ip address.
I am not saying it is a bad idea, its just that you should be careful to
not overdo it.

I am interested in what you come up with.

Regards,
     Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten