wicket should assume I am referring to the package resource. What raises
this question is when CSS has to be reused across applications and all the
CSS and Image resources needs to be shared in a JAR irrespective of the
application context.

meanwhile, PackageResourceReference has been deprecated and interpolating
CSS url(bla.gif) required knowing the wicket url for the resource at
runtime. What is the recommended strategy for this now?

because it is not explicit

do you want packaged resource com/mypackage/Circle.gif

or do you want a static resource

/mycontext/com/mypackage/Circle.gif?

how is wicket to decide?

-igor