You could do the processing in a separate thread, and return the page
immediately with the progress component that polls (e.g. using Ajax,
though doesn't have to) for the progress. Or like Igor said, put your
progress bar on the page to begin with, make your form submit an ajax
submit, on the submit start that other thread and make the progress
component visible (and it will thus automatically start polling).

Eelco