I don't think it is the jar alone, I'm using jar as well and I don't
get the exception. But I think you asked the right question: What is
causing the xmlReader object to be null? Obviously iit happens while
closeing the parser, which means that it started parsing (with a
none-null parser object) and than ...

Which version of Wicket are you using?

Juergen