That's not a bad idea.  it's a simple enough "extension".  I could even add
it to the wiki if anyone else has a similar use case.

thats funny, i came to the opposite conclusion when designing it. most of
my usecases looked like this

onclick(AjaxRequestTarget) {
   // dosomething
   if (target!=null) {
        // setup repaint

the // dosomething being the same between ajax and non ajax versions, so
having two methods was being pita.

if you come up against your usecase a lot why not create a simple subclass
and route to different methods?

-igor